Friday 22 November 2013

Les Paul Jnr Double Cut: Shaping the Headstock / Custom Truss Rod Cover

Time to shape the headstock on my Les Paul Jnr in readiness for its coat of Vintage Amber Wudtone. Gibson headstock templates are a little thin on the ground compared to Fender, but I did manage to find a template for a Les Paul here: http://www.australianlespaulforums.com/download/Headstock.pdf. The template didn't fit my headstock perfectly - neither in width or tuner hole positions - so I had to do a little fudging to work out how it should go.



As it is, I think I placed it a little low - too far down towards the tuners. My "Turner" logo may not have the whitespace it greatly deserves, but no point crying over spilled milk. The scroll work could also be a little better (those curves are damn hard to get even!) but it isn't too bad for my first attempt at a Gibson headstock design.


I also quickly knocked up a custom truss rod cover from the same 3-ply tortoiseshell that I used to fashion the pickguard. I think it really adds something, and really ties the room together nicely. Ha! Thanks Dude..

No comments:

Post a Comment