Friday 20 December 2013

Les Paul Florentine: Tru-Oil Going On!

The Florentine is slowly building up layers of Tru-Oil and is starting to look nice and shiny. I have about 12 coats on both the back and the front so far and have wet-sanded in between to 800 grit.




Time to start with the 1200 grit and 50:50 thinning of the Tru-Oil from here on out. This beasty is starting to look nice (IMHO), especially on the back. Hard to believe that this is only basswood! I really like how the wine red stain has come up. Wish the front was a little darker, even though the quilted maple does look pretty good. A more 'wine' shade would have been better and I'm kicking myself that I didn't trace dye with black at the very start of this project. Oh well, you live and learn.

I am also thinking about spraying some clear acrylic over the body for this build. That will allow me to darken up the colour a bit on the front (using Colortone dye in the clear). I'm even thinking of a subtle burst of even darker colour around the edges. Not sure yet. Of course I'm thinking big even though I've never yet used a spray gun in my life. It's go hard or go home I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment