Monday 16 December 2013

Les Paul Jnr Double Cut: Wudtone is On!

So the last coats of Wudtone colour and clear have been applied to the Les Paul Jnr. That makes 8 coats of colour and 3 coats of clear in total. I would have liked to get a  few more clear coats on there, but the bottle ran out. There could have been a little more in the bottle for mind..


Anyway, the colour has deepened well and I'm very happy with it. There's a pretty good solid colour, with just a hint of grain showing through. Should look killer with the custom Tortoiseshell Pickguard I've made. I've allowed the Wudtone to cure for a week and I've started polishing it. Currently I've rubbed my heart out with Colortone medium compound and I also plan to apply fine and swirl remover grades before I'm finished. Gotta remember not to rub too hard on those edges and start taking colour off..

Once the Wudtone polishing is done, I'll decide whether the gloss is enough to call the finish complete and go on to the assembly. Wudtone is not made to duplicate the lustrous shines achieved with Nitro or Poly, so I'll have to see. On Siena's Stratocaster I ended up with a few coats of Minwax Wipe-on Poly, but that was also for protection in addition to the shine factor. We'll see how I feel. I have a new spray gun and am planning to give the Les Paul Florentine a few coats of Vinyl lacquer. Possibly I could bring the schedule forward to include the Jnr?

No comments:

Post a Comment