Wednesday 8 January 2014

Stone Roses Tribute: Test Fit

Well, Christmas has come and gone and I can finally start my Stone Roses Tribute build! Right off the bat, I gotta say that I'm very happy with the quality of the Pitbull Guitars RC-1 kit that will form the basis of this build. The f-hole is nicely finished, there's only a couple of glue spots (not that this will be a problem for this particular build), the binding is clean and well seated, and there's some gorgeous grain on the rosewood fretboard.



I did a mock fit to check that all the pieces fit together correctly and the guitar looks really, really good! It's not as large as my actual Rickenbacker 330, but it's still got those distinctive curves. Suffice to say that after seeing the mock-up, I'm raring to go on this project!


I would really like to swap out the pickups with some GFS Retrotron mini-humbuckers, and replace the kit's knobs with some more "Rickish" black numbers, but I'll have to see how the budget stands up on this one. Looking at the mockup it did strike me just how nice this baby would look in a natural (colourless or slightly amber) finish. Oh well, tough shit! It's destined to have paint splashed over it in true Squire fashion - and that's final!

No comments:

Post a Comment