Wednesday 12 March 2014

Stone Roses Tribute: White Gloss Base Coats Complete

The spraying is finally complete on the Stone Roses Tribute. In the end I sprayed 3 coats of white primer, and then 3 coats of White Gloss Acrylic over the top of that. All surfaces have come up really nice and flat, and all my masking held to the last. There is a nice edge between the front headstock face and the natural back and sides, and the cavities remained clear of colour.


The only thing left to do now before I begin the Pollocking is to scrape the binding clean. I've had trouble with this in the past, and so to help me I have constructed a couple of jigs to keep my scraping blade an even distance from the edge of the guitar. This should lead to dead straight binding reveals and hopefully no wood showing - an issue that has plagued me on previous "freehand scraping" adventures.


The jigs allow the depth of a razor blade to be varied according to the size of the scrape surface required. A wing nut allows the split wood to be loosened and tightened so that once the exact width is dialed correctly it can be locked into place and not move.

Doing the 1-ply top binding is going to be a challenge as not only is it very thin, but the thickness of the binding varies depending on how hard the end grain was sanded in that area. I think I'll err on the side of caution and set the scraper to a little less than normal 1-ply binding width.

No comments:

Post a Comment