Friday 20 March 2015

Ash Stratocaster: Finally Got the Blues

Well, finishing and assembly is finally completed on the Ash Stratocaster build. The Colortone blue and Acrylic finish has come up a treat, especially with the ebony Timbermate to pop that gorgeous ash grain. To be honest I couldn't be happier with how she has come out.



A few people out there have questioned the choice of a Vintage Amber neck, and if I had my time again I'd probably go a natural neck with the blue body colour. But all in all, I still think the amber and blue combination works well.




Despite issues with pin holes in the Acrylic clear coats, the finish finally came up beautifully. The pin holes were caused by the ash grain not being completely filled and completely sealed before the lacquer went on. While I solved the problem in the end with repeated application, it's a lesson to be learnt for next time.




I still need to do a complete setup before I can call her 100% complete. This includes a fret level, adjustment of bridge saddle height, and the filing of a brand new bone nut. She already plays very nicely indeed - straight out of the box as it were. The Tru-Oiled neck is so smooth! With a fret job and new nut I'll be able to dial the action in and she'll be a real joy under the fingers. Stay tuned for more updates!

1 comment:

  1. I think that is the most beautiful strat I have ever seen. I just love the color and gold hardware combination.

    ReplyDelete