Monday 5 December 2016

Flamed Starcaster: Headstock Flair

More work on the Starcaster headstock this week. Since there is no shaping required this time around, as a homage to the original Starcaster look I am creating a whooping swirly thing on the headstock. This 'single piece of flair' will be sprayed black and the now world-famous Turner logo will sit inside it.

Using a frisket sheet I cut out my whooping design and carefully stuck it down on the headstock. I then masked off the rest of the headstock and neck ready for spraying with black acrylic. That  was a few days ago now.

Frisket is on and the headstock is masked. Just needs paper to cover the neck.
First coat of black acrylic spray applied.
After the first couple of coats I got some 2000 grit and wet-sanded the black to smooth it out before adding a couple more coats. I then let it sit and dry for a couple of days.

The masking came off the headstock and neck today. I'm pretty happy with how the single piece of flair came out. I tidied it up just a smidge with the craft blade, and got my acrylic logo stuck on there. Looking good! I followed this up with the first soak coat of Tru-Oil before letting her hang in my extra-special drying room for a few hours. The Tru-Oil is slowly bringing the grain in the neck to life, so hopefully she'll look nice in a month or so's time.

Single piece of Flair is on, with the logo positioned inside it.
I followed this up with the first soak coat of Tru-Oil before letting her hang in my extra-special drying room for a few hours. The Tru-Oil is slowly bringing the grain in the neck to life, so hopefully she'll look nice in a month or so's time.

First Tru-Oil soak coat on and soaking.
That last photo of the headstock is very misleading - the colour is no where near that yellow. The colour is more like what you can see in the photo of the neck above it. Anyway, now for the patient drudgery of multiple Tru-Oil coats on the neck. I'm looking forward to getting it over and done with so I can finally set the neck and have this thing actually looking like a guitar!

No comments:

Post a Comment