Wednesday 27 November 2013

Les Paul Jnr Double Cut: Custom Headstock Decal

The custom headstock decal went on today without a hitch. The decal was bought from best-decals.com and is the same as for previous builds. When my current supply of decals is exhausted, I'm going to be sourcing them from a company here in Australia. Here it is out in the sun to get a better idea of the colour..


Now that I look at the headstock and neck, I think I went a bit heavy with the Vintage Amber Wudtone. I honestly think 2 coats would have been more than enough, not the 4 that it finished up with. Next time I think I'll try the Vintage Yellow. It doesn't look anywhere near as dark as the Amber. Oh well, you live and learn - I thought it looked awesome on the Stratocaster build, but Fender do that don't they - dye their headstocks the same colour as the neck and fret-board. Hopefully when the tuners and strings go on it won't look as bloody orange!

Postscript: 27/11/2013:
You know, this just isn't right. The more I look at the headstock with the Vintage Amber neck colour on it, the more I think that the colour is just wrong for this build. The neck colour is fine, but the face of the headstock just doesn't match the Butterscotch body.


Basically, it looks shithouse. So, I have 2 options. Firstly, get some black spray and spray the face of the headstock. Secondly, sand off the face of the headstock and apply Butterscotch to it. One way or another this headstock is going to change. Luckily I have a spare decal to hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment