Tuesday 24 December 2013

Les Paul Jnr Double Cut: Fret Levelling & Redressing

Despite the fact that I should have done it during the mock-up phase (naughty!) I finally got around to levelling and redressing the frets on my Les Paul Jnr Double Cut. If you are interested in how this is done, have a look at my previous post on the subject.

Interestingly, I recently acquired a new piece of kit - a 12" radiused sanding block - and I'm keen to see how this goes as a replacement for the precision straight edge for this particular job. To this point I have always used the straight edge for fret levelling, so it will be interesting to see which works best. I have found that with the straight edge you need to really concentrate so that you keep the sanding even across the entire width of the fretboard, and that you maintain the radius of he frets. With the radiused sanding block, these problems shouldn't be an issue.


I also got myself a new Fret Re-crowning File from Stewmac. Up until now I've been using the 'Little Bone' fret file. To be honest I'm not sure which I like better. The Stewmac file is a complete semi-circular file which means that once the sides are formed correctly, the file will begin to take height off the top of the fret again, ruining your careful levelling job.


Additionally, you can't see what is happening to the fret while you file. The little bone only takes the sides off the fret, and it is much easier (IMO) to see how close you are to finishing. Maybe I'm just not used to the new file. I'll give it a few more tries to allow time for a proper evaluation.


Anyway, it's all done now including the polishing of the frets with chrome polish and some Dr Ducks Axe Wax for the fretboard. It's looking nice and I can't wait to string her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment