Sunday, 5 January 2014

Les Paul Florentine: Gluing the Neck

Today marked another first for me. I finally glued the neck onto my Les Paul Florentine - the first set-neck that I have built. I was a bit worried about it, having never glued in a neck before, but the neck fit was reasonably tight on the kit and I didnt really expect problems. I used a liberal amount of Titebond glue on all surfaces (the cavity and the neck) and then held the neck in place with two clamps.


Titebond is reportedly much stronger than PVC for neck setting, and is still water based. I was able to wipe off excess glue with a damp rag. The nice thing about this particular set neck project is that the bridge posts havent been drilled yet. What that means for me is that I could just glue the neck into place without having to worry too much about string alignment from the bridge, over the pickups and down the neck. In a couple of days I'll remove the clamps and see how well I've done.

Once the neck is dry I can position the bridge, taking the string alignment and pickups into account, and then drill the post holes when everything is lined up nicely. That will be the next step for this bad boy!