Friday 25 July 2014

Stone Roses Tribute: Wiring Her Up!

Hot on the heels of the shielding, the wiring for the Stone Roses Tribute build quickly came together today. It was relatively easy to do, given the fact that all the wiring takes place on the back of the scratchplate. First to go on were the pickups - which slid effortless into their shielded cavities and were screwed home. I was tossing up whether to replace the surrounds by white, but I'm definitely liking the black!


Next the components went into the shielded scratchplate and were tightened into place. To save troubleshooting woes later on, I made a plastic shield for each pot out of milk-bottle container. This stops the terminals of the pot from shorting out on the scratchplate shielding when the pot is tightened. A neat trick that I learned from watching Crimson Custom Guitars on YouTube.


With the pots and switch in place, I followed the standard 50's VintageWiring schematic to get the components wired together. No hassles, no stresses here. I've done it so many times now I think I could do it in my sleep!


An so with the wiring all soldered up I did a quick tap-test on the pickups to make sure the volume and tone controls worked for each pickup and that the switch varied the signal source correctly. All sweet! All I'm waiting on now is an oval jack plate and output jack from Realtone Music Parts and I'll be able to put this baby to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment