Friday 18 July 2014

Mosrite Ventures Mk II: Hey Ho Let's Go!!

Guess what I found on my doorstep this morning? The most exciting thing to grace it for quite a while. It's my newest guitar kit from Pitbull Guitars: The Mosrite Ventures Mark II as made famous by the one and only, the incomparable punk rock legend, Johnny Ramone!


I'm so excited! I've wanted one of these for years and years, and I've waited patiently for the couple of months it took for this special order kit to arrive. But, I gotta tell you, it was SO worth the wait. This thing is amazing!


Out of the box, the kit is a wonder to behold. The body shape is spot on - exactly to spec - with that under-hanging larger horn and the misshapen back section that made the Ventures Mk II famous. The headstock also sports an exact replica of the immediately recognizable Mosrite "M" shape, and even the Zero'th fret has been included. Unbelievable!!



The body is 3-piece basswood with no obvious glue or machining marks. The neck pocket is quite long compared to your normal Tele or Strat, and that should mean a good transfer of vibration from the neck to the body. The neck meanwhile is a nice piece of Rock Maple with a Rosewood fretboard. It's a 22-fret setup with a scale length of 626mm measured from the middle of the 0th fret to the middle of the 12th. The profile of the neck is super thin so it should be really nice for me and my small hands to play!

All in all I couldn't be happier with the kit. I'm so happy in fact, that as soon as I opened the box I contacted Adam from Pitbull again to order another one; this time in Ash.

I'm going to finish this kit in traditional Johnny Ramone style - white, with a Dimarzio FS-1 in the bridge position. Reportedly, Johnny never played the neck pickup at all (in the end he even had the switch taken out) so I probably wont worry too much about replacing this one.

I'm so damn excited!! Time to get sanding...

No comments:

Post a Comment