Monday 4 August 2014

Burley 335: 1st Coat of Tru-Oil

Well, after finishing the sanding of the Burled Birdseye Maple 335, I debated long and hard about what colour to dye it. I was thinking of a dark walnut colour, and then an amber and red mahogany burst like my 335 Bass,  but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the dye job. I slept on it last night, and this morning decided to leave the top natural as I had originally intended.


With this decision made, the first "soak" coat of Tru-Oil went straight on the veneer. All I can say is wow! The Tru-Oil revealed details in the grain that I never knew existed, and the amount of chatoyance - even with a single coat - is amazing. I'm very pleased with how this is shaping up!

I still haven't decided what to do with the back and sides. My current thinking is to go natural just like the veneer. But hey, all that might change come tomorrow morning ;). A dark walnut colour could also contrast very nicely with the natural top!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job. I noticed you taped off the binding. Did it manage to keep the stain off the white binding? I'm building a 335 soon with a Cherry stain and don't want the binding to turn pink.

    Thanks
    John Morrison
    Creemore Ontario Canada

    ReplyDelete