Saturday, 23 August 2014

Burley 335: Tru-Oil on the Neck

Well the clamps have come off the Burled Birdseye Maple 335 and the set neck looks good. It's a strong join and should serve nicely. With the glue dry, the application of Tru-Oil can now resume. I've gotten 5 coats on the back of the body now and it's starting to look great.


While there's no "figure" to speak of on the back or the sides, the maple grain has been highlighted nicely by the Tru-Oil. I must say I'm liking the natural colour for a change.

So too with the neck. I've now managed to get 2 coats of Tru-Oil on the neck and headstock. This is the first time I've done a rock maple neck completely natural - without dye of any sort - and I'm amazed at how dark the wood is becoming!




The Tru-Oil is picking up the grain very nicely, and I think the darker overall colour will contrast nicely with the natural body. There's still a shitload of coats to go, so I do expect it to "Amber up" quite a bit before I'm finished. It can only look better and better!