Wednesday 31 December 2014

Scratch Builds: New MDF Templates Created

New Years Eve 2014, and I have been able to spend a little time thinking about scratch guitar bodies! I spent the day today getting some templates created based on designs from the Google Fender-ish Guitar Plans Collection. Using 12mm MDF, I created templates for the Fender Telecaster, Double-Cut Telecaster, Pawn-Shop Supersonic and Toronado models. While I'm still feeling my way with the router, my improving skills on the sanding wheel and drill-press slap wheel have meant that all the templates came out pretty well this time around (the observant amongst you may notice a few mishaps with the router in the Supersonic cavity route!).

Telecaster and Double-Cut Telecaster Templates
Toronado and Pawn-Shop Supersonic Templates
In addition to the templates, I also got out the sander and completed some pine body blanks that I've had glued and ready for the last few weeks.With some 40 grit sanding discs, each body blank was very quickly cleaned-up and (approximately) levelled (oh for a thicknesser!!) and now they just need to be smoothed with 180 and 240 grit before the final body shapes are traced, cut and routed.

Body blanks glued with Titebond and sanded with 40 grit to level them off.
Hopefully I'll be able to get the jig-saw out in the next few days, and I'll have 3 spanking new pine bodies shaped ready for neck pocket routing!

No comments:

Post a Comment