Tuesday 23 December 2014

Ash Les Paul: Entwhistle HDN Neodymium Pickups

Today I received a pair of Entwistle HDN Zebra Pickups for my Ash Les Paul project from Pitbull Guitars. The HDNs, which utilise Neodymium magnets, promise an "ultra hot" response giving note definition, crunch and tone that's perfect for rock and metal. Mmmm metal..


Initially, I had planned to use the original cream humbucker rings that came with the kit to mount these new zebra pickups. Here's how the stock chrome humbuckers look with these cream rings and the 10-coats of Tru-Oil that's currently on the body...



And now with the zebra HDNs in the same cream pickup rings. What do you think? Do the zebra's look better or worse? They certainly look more "rock" to my eyes - and that's a good thing!



The only question now is the pickup rings themselves. To be honest, I'm not sure that I'm really sold on them anymore. The cream in the rings is a little more "yellow" than the zebra cream (Mmmm zebra cream), and this lends them a more plastic, cheaper look. I'm thinking that either black or chrome rings may look better in this situation, or maybe I should just buy some AllParts Cream Rings to replace them? What's the consensus on there on the interweb?

No comments:

Post a Comment