Friday, 8 August 2014

Surf Monster Telecaster: Colour Coats Take #4

Well, yet another clear coat fail on the Surf Monster Telecaster. That makes 3 attempts so far, although the blue dye job can't really be classed as a "fail". The first coat of acrylic clear onto the Linz Iceberg didn't crack this time, but it did discolour the paint. Damn you to a fiery hell! The verdict on these Ironlak spray paints? They are total fucking shite! Don't use them, don't buy them, don't even mention them in polite conversation. You will be dissapointed - that's an Ironlak guarantee.

And so, it was with a heavy heart and aching arms that I yet again sanded back the basswood telecaster body, applied primer and was ready for colour. On the back of a comment from Sydney luthier Harry Aznavoorian, I decided to give the Montana Colors MTN94 range a try. Given that Harry has had similar problems with the Ironlak (Linz Iceberg too as it turns out!), and has reported good success with the MTN94, the choice was a no-brainer in the end. Thanks Harry!


And so, 2 cans of Montana's finest arrived on my doorstep this morning. I ordered the same colour as Harry (he too is doing a "Seafoam Green" build) - the MTN94 "R-6027: Luminouse Green". The colour looked great on the top of the can, so there was nothing for it but to get the colour on to the body and see how it looked!

The spray cans are advertised as low pressure - and they certainly are. The paint comes out nice and easy and there are no volume issues to worry about. I'll need to do several coats (probably 3 coats at current reckoning) but that's better than the paint going on too thick like that Ironlak shit did.The paint is matt, and actually looks really nice sitting on the body!


All in all I think the new colour looks really great - closer in fact to the original colour that I envisaged for this build. It isn't "Teal" like the Ironlak turned out to be, and it's much closer to the traditional "Seafoam" colour of the 50s and 60s Strats and Teles. Another couple of coats and everything will be great. The photo, unfortunately, does not do the colour justice - these blue/green hues are notoriously difficult to photograph.

Now let's cross our fingers and hope the clear coats go on without incident! I'm having good success with the Johnny Ramone Mosrite clear coats, so let's hope everything will be fine...