Friday 16 May 2014

Surf Monster Telecaster: Get's a New Look

Well, the Surf Monster Telecaster is no more. After a rather epic clear coat fail that also claimed the solid paint job underneath, it was time to re-think. I decided to go with Blue Colortone dye with a darker burst. The grain on this body really is too good to hide under a layer of paint.

I sanded the body back to bare wood and went up through the grits to 400. I filled the pores with Timbermate and then sanded to 600 grit. The dye went on shortly after. Interestingly, there are a few places where the underlying grain didn't want to take much colour. Maybe the sanding to 600 was responsible. I'm not sure, but I like the look a lot.


The photos show the finish after the first coat of Acrylic clear. The colour is not really tru-to-life. The blue is a little darker and fuller, but still looks pretty damn good here. I think it's going to come up nicely. I might be tempted to add some blue dye to a few of the clear coats to add a little more colour. I'm not sure yet. We'll see how it is looking after a couple more clear coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment