Monday, 6 October 2014

Black Ash Telecaster: Tru-Oil Coats


After a relaxing 3 week holiday in Middle Earth, I have finally got back to the man cave! Feeling the pangs of withdrawal from my building addiction, I was immediately rushed to the man cave for a little guitar building therapy. Whew..!

Before I went away, I managed to sand the body of the black Ash Telecaster back with 180, 240 and 320 grit to remove the remainder of the glue spots mentioned in my previous post. Another coat of black Colortone dye was then applied and the glue spots all but disappeared. However, no matter how much I sanded, I just couldn't remove those small "grain" marks on the front of the body!

Leaving these marks for the moment, I applied a soak coat of Tru-Oil to the body followed by 5 more thin coats. I then applied two more thin coats of Tru-Oil with black Colortone dye (concentrate) mixed in. It turns out, at least in the case of black dye, that this works unbelievably well! In fact, the resulting mixture smelled remarkably like Wudtone. Hmm, I might be on to something there ;). The marks on the front of the body have been substantially reduced using the coloured oil and I'm pretty bloody happy with the result.

Anyway, back in the man cave today I lightly wet sanded the oil with 800 grit sand paper and applied two more thin coats of un-dyed Tru-Oil. The resulting finish is really starting to look good.



To be honest, I don't think the body is going to need much more. I really like the way the ash grain texture can still be seen and felt, and the semi-gloss finish really enhances this effect. Time to get started on the neck!